Wednesday, April 10, 2019

If it's free (or cheap), it's gotta be for me!



Today, I took care of some errands. When I was done for the day, I had lunch at White Castle in the West End, the first place I came to. Then, I just walked around the neighborhood trying to find something to do. I was bored. Bored, bored, bored, bored, bored. I wanted to do something, but I just don't have Oprah's millions to do everything that I want. I don't feel like spending any money. I.just.don't.want.to.

Yes, many of us have these kinds of days. As a Certified Tourism Ambassador, I have given advise to visitors and residents alike on how to make the most of their experiences in Cincinnati by looking for free or discounted things to do. In turn, I have used my own advice and got creative, of sorts.

I have put these three off-the-beaten path hacks (and trust me, we can all put these) to work:

1. Volunteer. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in the community. I volunteer at Findlay Market as a tour guide and at various events throughout the year such as The Findlay Market Chili-Cook Off, The Flavors of Findlay annual fundraiser, and The Holiday Market. After completing a shift, I would get vouchers for free items to have during these events. On my regular visits to the market, I would have nutritious conversations with the vendors, and depending on how well we know each other, I score discounted meals and on items that I buy on the regular.

2. Open Houses. Every year, ArtsWave holds an annual sampler of concerts, tours, museum admissions, and other events free of charge. Also, various attractions offer free or discounted admissions throughout the year.

3. Become a Certified Tourism Ambassador. This is a nationally certified program for the hospitality community, but the awesome news is that anyone can become certified, because we all come in contact with visitors wanting to find great things to do.  For just a small fee, attendees receive a destination specific binder two weeks before the schedule class to pre-read, attend a one time training session, participate in class exercises, and take an open book exam. Once certified, newly Certified Tourism Ambassadors will receive a lapel pin. After that, ambassadors can renew their membership once a year for a nominal fee by visiting various attractions, volunteering, ongoing education,etc. In between all of that, ambassadors can score freebies and discounts from various businesses, restaurants, and attractions.

Excited now? I second that motion! Go ahead, get out there and do whatever the spirit moves you to do on the cheap!




No comments:

Post a Comment