Friday, April 12, 2019

Here I go just a Wandering Walnut Hills


It's Fri-Yay! It's 68 degrees, and it's just one of those days that I felt inspired to just walk around today, but not just anywhere.

My initial plan was to visit the Harriet Beecher Stowe House today, but when I finally got downtown from having lunch in Northside, the bus I needed to get to the museum took off without me, and the next bus available would arrive at the time the museum closed. Ultimately, I decided to use this time to walk around Walnut Hills.

Walnut Hills was initially settled by Irish and Italian immigrants in the early 1900s; there was even a western part of McMillan St called "Little Italy". With the construction of Union Terminal in the 1930s and the demolition of housing projects in the West End, more African-Americans began to settle in Walnut Hills. As suburbs were created after World War II, middle class white residents moved out, and middle class African Americans moved in. By the 1970s, Walnut Hills was 70% African American.

As I walked along Gilbert Ave and McMillan St, I saw a plethora of ghost signs, some as sharp and crystal clear as the day the buildings were built. I was also able to catch some random artwork. What a difference a walk makes!












No comments:

Post a Comment