Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Kombuchinnati



For most of my life, I have suffered some minor health issues, including seasonal allergies, and given my family history of cardiovascular disease, I have been looking for safe and organic ways to maintain good health. On one of my weekly trips to Findlay Market in 2016, I stumbled upon something that was way out of my comfort zone but hot and happening: kombucha. I stopped by what used to be DIRT Market and checked out a cold brew coffee kombucha by Fab Ferments (they have a tap room in Lockland!). I was so blown away by how awesome this is--right balance of sweet and tart.

For those who don't know, kombucha is a fermented probiotic tea that dates back 2000 years to Ancient China. As a probiotic soda, people drink it to improve digestive and immune health (80% of our immune system is located in our digestive tract).

Fast forward to Summer 2019. I buy a new brand called Kombuchinnati, and for me, this hits a very sweet spot. There are flavors such as Original, Ginger Pie, and my favorite, Berry Medley.

In October during BLINK, I finally meet the owner Ione Sally while trying a coffee cold brew. He is very passionate for what he does, and the brutha has a very inspiring story. Loved the cold brew, so I tried to convince him to do a matcha kombucha! So excited for what he will put out next!

Kombucha has great benefits, but one downside to this is that if kept warm for too long, it could overferment and increase alcohol content, so I used both bottles of the kombucha that I bought this weekend as a marinade for chicken.

That said, the recipe for Kombuchinnati Chicken with Honey Pepper Sauce


Kombuchinnati Chicken with Honey Pepper Sauce

Any part of chicken (I used chicken wings)

Two bottles of Ginger Pie Kombuchinnati

Salt

Sugar

Pepper

Margarine or Olive Oil


1. Bring water in saucepan to a boil. Remove from burner to cool for about 5 minutes.

2.  Remove chicken from package and transfer to a glass baking dish.

3. Transfer cool water to glass baking dish. With chicken in the dish, pour water so it covers just enough of the chicken.

4. Add salt and sugar and let brine overnight.




5. Remove chicken from the first brine, discard, and wash glass dish. Transfer chicken in cleaned glass dish and pour both bottles of kombucha and let marinade in the refrigerator for eight more hours.


6. Transfer chicken to clean plate and discard kombucha marinade. Pat chicken dry.

7.  Transfer chicken back to washed glass dish and oil with margarine or olive oil. Season with black   pepper.






8. Preheat oven to 400°. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.

9. If you like, remove the chicken and baste the honey pepper sauce (recipe below) onto the chicken. Place back in oven for 20 minutes.

10. Remove chicken from oven and let rest for 10 minutes.


Enjoy!




Honey Pepper Sauce

1/2 cup of local honey

2 1/2 tsp black pepper

1 tsp paprika

1 tsp cayenne pepper


Combine all ingredients.




No comments:

Post a Comment