Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Men of Change





Last week, I received an invite to the CTA (Certified Tourism Ambassador) Media Preview Day for the Men of Change: Power, Triumph, and Truth exhibit at the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center. This one of a kind exhibit highlights African American men who have made their imprint in politics, sports, entertainment, science, business, religion, and more, but through their own experiences and stories, they have woven a piece of fabric not only for black history but of American history.

It was extremely important that I saw this exhibit. Looking back over my life, I have learned to truly understand and embrace the power, wisdom, and wit of the black man. I lost my mother when I was seven years old and was subsequently moved to Cincinnati to be raised by an aunt and uncle. I grew up around and was surrounded mostly by men, who gave me a piece of wisdom that only they can instill. My uncle, who is a minister, was both a mother and a father to me growing up-teaching me everything from cooking Sunday dinner to teaching me the word of God to helping me to understand how to be a strong woman. Given the stigma of the black man today, I took my uncle's word's of wisdom, along with the Bible, as gospel.

The featured artists of this exhibit told the stories of each of these game changing men in their own way. Strange enough, I see myself in these works of art. Back in June, I attended the What Is and What Can Be: Women of Color and the Struggle for Justice in Cincinnati opening reception at the YWCA of Greater Cincinnati.  These men are the male version of crones-strong, seasoned brothers who represent freedom, wisdom, and resilience.

Until next time, stay strong and blessed!


























No comments:

Post a Comment