Saturday, June 15, 2019

Everyday Crones



As I reflect on the halfway mark of 2019, I have been blessed with the accomplishments as well as the challenges I have faced up to this point, including a minor health concern.

Friday I had no reason to complain as it was awesome sunny weather, so I decided to check out the opening of very intriguing and inspiring art exhibit "What Is and What Can Be: Women of Color and the Struggle for Justice in Cincinnati at the YWCA of Greater Cincinnati.

Just hours before the opening, I had the pleasure of meeting the curator of the exhibit, president of the local YWCA Ena Nearon Menefield. The moment we met, I sensed a strong but humble spirit about her. She is considered to be a modern day "crone", but in a beautiful way. In folklore and fairy tales, a crone is typically described as a sinister woman, often with supernatural associations that would maker her helpful or distracting. In modern times, crones are defined as seasoned women who exhibit wisdom, freedom, and personal strength.

This exhibit featured some work of our modern day crones. As I looked at these masterpieces, I see myself in them. I see the struggles that I have had growing up. I also see the successes I have achieved.

Now that I think about it, we have crones all around us. From the little girl who strives to do well in school despite her circumstances to the young mother who raises her children the best she knows how with limited resources and to the seasoned matron who has seen it and done it all, each and everyone of us has something to offer and something to learn.


Wild Women Never Get The Blues, Ricci Michaels

Black Woman, Ricci Michaels

Untitled, Grace Haggard


Poetry Reading

Poetry Reading

Ena Nearon Menefield, curator




2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your insight and commentary surrounding the recent opening of our "What Is and What Can Be" art Exhibit at the YWCA Greater Cincinnati. In particular it is interesting how you chose to weave the upcoming "Crones in the Country" theme into our current event.

    Keep up the good work. It is so very important to expose new and upcoming experiences with . We gefellow Cincinnatians.This way we get to keep the conversations going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for being a pillar in this community. I am so happy that you like this blog! I will continue to tell the untold stories and experiences of our city.

      Delete