Saturday, December 14, 2019

Taft Museum of Art, Act II: Journey to Freedom


After volunteering as Santa's elf on the Cincy Bell Connector today, I stopped by the Taft Museum of Art for the opening weekend of  Journey to Freedom: Art Quilts by Cynthia Lockhart.

Lockhart graduated from the University of Cincinnati and moved to New York City to work as a fashion and an accessories designer. Major retailers and boutiques the world over sold her unique accessories. She was tired of the hustle and bustle and decided to move back to Cincy, becoming a professor in UC's College of Art, Design, Architecture, and Planning for 25 years.

Her work is featured at the Cincinnati Art Museum, Cincinnati Children's Hospital, and the University of Cincinnati as well as publications such as the Encyclopedia of African American Artists and Women's Wear Daily

Journey to Freedom tells of the heroic and joyful stories of Lockhart's ancestors. I looked at these quilts for the first time to snap the following pictures and took a second look to understand and learn more about myself. As part of my ongoing process of self development and self love, I have learned to embrace what the good Lord has bestowed upon me. As of 2017, I have said goodbye to hair relaxers and embraced my natural locks. These quilts have taught me to be comfortable in my own skin.


Make a Joyful Noise Unto the Lord, 2002


This one took me to church. Lockhart has been singing in church choirs for many years, thus inspiring this quilt.

Journey to Freedom, 2004
 
Runaway, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot, 2019

Honoring Our Ancestors, Inspiation and Creativity, 2019


This one's my favorite. Honoring Our Ancestors calls us to "interact" with this work. In the three   baskets below, visitors write their own definition of freedom. I just had to give honor to this piece and appreciate my ancestors for the sacrifices they made to mold me into the person I am today.



Jazz On My Mind, 2008


This one took me to the Big Easy. Interesting enough, I had red beans and rice for lunch yesterday 🤣. This piece is the true essence of NOLA and the cradle of jazz.


Created To Be Me, 2017
Today, I walked away from this exhibit with a new sense of freedom and self worth. Go see this exhibit! Trust me, your life will be transformed for the better!


No comments:

Post a Comment